Click here learn how to apply for U.S non- immigrant visa for tourists, students, business travelers and future spouses. Also, find information about the Visa Waiver Program, and how to get a job in the United States as a foreign worker.On this page article, we shall be discussing on the important requirements in applying for U.S nonimmigrant visa which you are required to know in case if you are planning a brief visit to the U.S. for business or tourism, you might need to apply for a visitor or a transit visa. These are the steps you should take:
2. Determine which visa you might need for your visit.
Most business and tourism travelers use B-1 and B-2 visitor visas.
- B-1 visa classification is for business travelers to consult with business associates, attend a conference, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract.
- B-2 visa classification is for tourists on vacation and people coming for medical treatment, a social event, or participation in amateur contests for no pay.
Transit visas are less common.
- Transit C visa classification is for foreign nationals traveling through the U.S. to another country and stopping briefly in the U.S. as part of their travel to the next foreign destination.
- Transit C-1, D, and C-1/D visas are for crewmembers of sea vessels or international airlines traveling to the U.S.
3. Apply for a visa.
The process of applying for a visa will vary depending on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Follow the specific instructions for the country that you’re in.
In general, you will need:
- To complete online form DS-160, the nonimmigrant visa application form
- A photo
- A visa application fee
- To schedule an interview
International travelers for business or pleasure who are citizens of one of the 38 countries that participate in the U.S.’s Visa Waiver Program (VWP) can get a visa waiver. While you do not need a visa to come to the U.S. for your business meeting or for vacation, you must get an approved travel authorization prior to your trip to the U.S.
How to Apply and Get Approval to Travel to the U.S.
- Check the list of 38 countries that participate in the VWP.
- You must have an e-Passport to use the VWP. This type of passport is also known as an electronic passport and has an embedded chip in it.
- Fill out the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) online application. ESTA determines the eligibility of a visitor to travel to the U.S. under the VWP.
- The processing fee is $4.00 and if you are approved, there is an additional $10.00 authorization charge. Learn how to pay for your ESTA fee.
- When you fill out your application, you will get an ESTA application number. Use this number to check the status of your application if it has been accepted to travel to the U.S.
Visitors traveling to the U.S. for tourism or business meetings or conferences under the VWP can stay for up to 90 days without a visa.